struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Container Wars
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:02:08 GMT
Wow, thanks for the links.  One very crucial bit of information missing in these benchmarks
(unless my spectacles mislead me) is that there is no mention of JSP compilation.  This leads
me to assume that each page was hit first on the respective containers to compile the JSPs,
then the benchmark tests conducted.  The problem I have with this is that you are really testing
two things:  How 'smart' the particular JSP compiler is, and how well the container services
requests.

With that in mind, the Jasper2 JSP compiler available with Tomcat 4.1.x offers optimizations
in the generated code that purportedly increase page response by 400% or better.  I've observed
with my own peepers that it is several times faster, though I have no BS (cough, I mean, 'benchmarks')
to offer.

So maybe the article should be retitled:  "Was Tomcat Crap?"
If you've looked at the code the original Jasper generates, you might be inclined to say 'yes'.

Also:  "Lies!  Damned lies, and statistics!"  :)

My .02