struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject Re: struts + EJBs?
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:20:53 GMT

Vic,

In general I agree with much of this sentiment. But not all of it.

I've been using WebLogic for a while and have yet to run into a situation
where EJB's didn't perform fast enough. We have a bunch of apps full of
entity beans that all work fine. And I've had to build some complex stuff
that required weird transaction management - like commiting a database
write only after I was sure I had correctly read from a JMS queue and
passed the data successfully to MQSeries - all three interfaces had to be a
single transaction that rolled back if any one had a problem. Using a J2EE
container to manage all transactions made all this much simpler.

And the developers in my group have gotten so where we can knock out EJB's
pretty fast. It doesn't slow us down.

I think Weblogic is a great product. I think trading it in for just a web
container would be a big step backwards. JMS alone justifies having a full
J2EE container.

What I was trying to say in my earlier repsonse was that I think its great
to have the container and all it offers - but that the learning curve isn't
easy and sometimes it's overkill.