struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject RE: Struts 1.1 Release
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:46:01 GMT

> I totally understand and agree with the release policy, but I think it's
worth remembering that a lot of these
> questions are driven by the constraints of users' environments - e.g. in
corporate environments like ours, there
> any many people like myself continually fighting to get great open source
products like Struts into the organisation
> so that development teams can use them, and the latest versions of them.
However, this has to be done within the
> processes and policies that apply to any third party software, commercial
or otherwise.

Not trying to whine - but I fight the same battles. I work for a big,
conservative company. Telling people it's a 'beta' release - regardless of
what that means - makes it much more difficult to get things approved.

Probably a greater percentage of your users than you realize are still
using 1.02 for the sole reason that 1.1 is still called 'beta'. Worse,
probably a lot of projects have started off that had to use 1.02 because it
was the 'stable release' - and then the development teams struggled. I saw
one project dump struts because they had trouble getting it to do what they
wanted (they were forced to use 1.02).