struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject Re: problems with struts under j2sdk1.4.0_01
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:37:12 GMT

When resolving issues like this, here is one approach you can take:

1. The stack trace tells you exactly where the error occured - it's in the
'root cause' section. In your case, it was at:

 at
 org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:242)

This indicates some sort of JSP error was thrown at line 242 of the class
 org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.

2. Now that you know exactly where the error occured, look at the source
 code. You know which file to look in and what line number from the stack
 trace. In your case, with 1.02 the source code (from the MessageTag.java
 file) reads:

    public int doStartTag() throws JspException {

      // Construct the optional arguments array we will be using
      Object args[] = new Object[5];
      args[0] = arg0;
      args[1] = arg1;
      args[2] = arg2;
      args[3] = arg3;
      args[4] = arg4;

      // Retrieve the message string we are looking for
      String message = RequestUtils.message(pageContext, this.bundle,
                                              this.localeKey, this.key, args);
      if (message == null) {
line 242 ->JspException e = new JspException
            (messages.getMessage("message.message", key));
            RequestUtils.saveException(pageContext, e);
            throw e;
        }

      // Print the retrieved message to our output writer
        ResponseUtils.write(pageContext, message);

      // Continue processing this page
      return (SKIP_BODY);

    }

As you can see, I've identified line 242 as the line where the JSPException
is thrown. Great, we found the error!

So, what condition causes this exception to be thrown? The Exception is
thrown if the 'message' parameter is null - meaning that there is no
message in the properties file that corresponds to the key you put in the
message tag.

Check your message tag against your properties file, it looks like you
either have no message in the properties file for the key, or you may have
misspelled the key or something.

btw - there is a chapter in my upcoming book 'Struts Kick Start' that goes
into more detail on debugging these kinds of problems by reviewing the tag
source files....

Best of luck,

Kevin

---
Kevin Bedell
Author,. Struts Kick Start

Isabell Schaadt <IMKS@gmx.de> on 10/17/2002 09:34:51 AM

       <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>

cc:     (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
Subject:    Re: problems with struts under j2sdk1.4.0_01

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your answer.
The exception message isn't very helpfully. Here it is:

type:           Exception report
message:     Internal Server Error
Error) that
                  prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:471)

 at org.apache.jsp.index$jsp._jspService(index$jsp.java:237)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:201)

 at
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:381)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:473)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.java:246)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2347)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:468)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

 at
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1027)

 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1125)

 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

root cause:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException
 at
 org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:242)
 at org.apache.jsp.index$jsp._jspService(index$jsp.java:93)
[...]

I hope you can help me.