struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject RE: [OT] Container Wars - Resin and sessions
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 22:10:47 GMT

Joe - Thanks for explaining. I've seen so many people make decisions based
on 'potential' performance problems that never occur that I always question
the need. Sometimes there's really a difference, other times it's just
"running from ghosts"!

I appreciate your insight -

Kevin

> > Why is having an internal connector better than simply
> > creating a JNDI/
> > initial context on your own?
>
> > Because w/ the internal connector, all EJB calls are in-VM.  With a
created JNDI context, all EJB calls go on the
> > network call stack unless you are using EJB 2.0 local interfaces AFAIK.
>
> >Is the speed that much better?
>
> yes.  esp. on windows machines where the network call stack
implementation is not so speedy.

> >It's not
> > really too hard to simple set your jndi.properties directly
> > and connect
> > that way.
> > Not trying to put your decision down, just wondering if I've
> > missed something...
> >
> > Seems like choosing the best container would outweigh this
> > connectivity
> > issue...
>
> Not if choosing the "best" container results in a substantially slower
application....which is very possible when
> the EJB calls start "bottle-necking" on the call stack during high
traffic...with low traffic, you probably