struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject RE: Managing User defined Web Content design advice?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:11:48 GMT
>I was thinking to deserialize the java bean on login and I will have to in
>order to build the sub menu. I felt I shouldn't keep the bean around as it
>may be large containing several pages of content and too heavy for the
>session. So I would have to retrieve the bean on each content request, might
>not be that slow... have to test?

If you do use Java serialization, use XMLEncoder -- there are a lot
of headaches involved in serializing to the binary format if your
classes' APIs change -- or rather, in deserializing, since without
your efforts, beans serialized with one version of a class will not
deserialize with a revised version of that class.

If XMLEncoder doesn't work for you, there are a few automated XML
binding tools, like jakarta-commons-betwixt, Castor, and Enhydra
Zeus.  All should dodge that problem with deserializing beans as long
as you only extend your API and don't remove anything.

How dynamic is your content?  If it's just a matter of hiding and
showing various values, then you could just use logic tags to control
that based on data in your user profile bean.  That would minimize
some of the management issues.

If users basically get to create bookmarks (arbitrary links and link
titles) in your app, I guess you don't have much choice than to
create one or more files.  You'd have to weigh the benefits of
reading in the file each time and storing it in request scope vs.
reading it in once and storing it in your session.  I'd avoid
bloating the session myself.  I don't know how fast all that file
access would be, but it's probably not much slower than the common
alternative of making a network call to a database.

Is the flat file requirement for readability/manual editing?  Or just
to save money on a database?  If it's the latter, you might be able
to use RandomAccessFile to manage all this user data.  You'd probably
want to be careful about opening a file handle and sticking that in
the session, though, just because you'd never really know when to
clean it up...

You may also want to consider portal-oriented software systems which
may provide a better framework for the degree of user customization
you need.  There's Jakarta Jetspeed,
<http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/> which is pretty well developed,
but based on Turbine instead of Struts, and Vic C. has been leading a
Struts portal project on sourceforge.
<http://basicportal.sourceforge.net/ > Just to keep your options
open...

Joe

>Greg

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956