struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: What it will take for a 1.1 release... (was RE: Struts 1.1 Release)
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:04:45 GMT
>  > That said, Struts components like Tiles, Validator, and most
>  > recently, the EL version of the tag libraries were all dreamed up by
>>  someone who saw a need, and they were adopted into Struts because
>>  those people committed their own energy to making something happen.
>
>Because of all these having been incorporated, I think Struts is now way
>past something that should have been called a 1.1 release. According to the
>release plan document, 1.1 beta 2 was supposed to be feature-complete; the
>intent was to provide a stable base for bugfixes and documentation updates,
>leading to the 1.1 final release. As someone pointed out earlier in this
>thread, now that all of this additional (wonderful!) functionality has been
>added it's much more like a 2.0 release.

Well, a little perspective is necessary here -- Tiles and Validator
have been in the 1.1 mix since well before 1.1.b2.  I do believe that
the EL taglibs were added after 1.1b2, so maybe there's a bit of
feature creep -- but they seem real handy if you have the liberty of
using JSP 1.2 (wish I did...)

>  > >The Release Plan page on the Jakarta site lists the bugs which are
>  > >officially targeted for a 1.1 release.  However, it's pretty out of
>>  >date.  Perhaps turning this into a living document would be a good
>  > >volunteer opportunity?

*snip

>I definitely agree that this would be useful. I would prefer it to go
>slightly further though, into being a milestone plan along the same lines as
>the one Mozilla has (i.e. to set out the features and bug fixes that are
>targetted for the next N releases, rather than just the next one). I find
>that gives a very clear picture of where the project is at. It does need to
>be kept up to date, though...

Do you have any time to offer towards creating such a plan?
Everybody pitches in around here...

I think Mozilla has a much larger community, and does it have more
people who get paid to work on it?

Not that it's not a good goal -- just that wishing won't make it so!

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956