struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Complicated Web Interfaces?
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 01:18:06 GMT

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Jonathan Holloway wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:28:39 -0000
> From: Jonathan Holloway <jph8@aber.ac.uk>
> Subject: RE: Complicated Web Interfaces?
>
> Ok in principle then it seems fine it's just I don't like the fact
> that a scripting language whether client or server side can be
> embedded in the presentation logic, it still seems like a bit of
> a workaround.

Have you got an alternative suggestion for how to build complicated UIs
for a web browser *without* using client side JavaScript?

>  I've wondered about whether the Model2X approach and the
> Model 2 approach for some while now and it seems like the latter doesn't
> seperate the concerns as much as Model 2X.  The only thing that makes me
> doubt this is the fact that Sun and yourself have gone this way via the
> Model 2 approach with Java Server Faces rather than the Model 2
> approach.
> Is there any particular reason why this method is preferred over the
> Model 2X approach?

You'll have to point me at a definition of what you mean by "Model 2X" --
I've seen the term bandied about, but don't know of any formal
description.

Regarding JavaServer Faces in particular, it is *not* a goal of JSF to be
focused purely on HTML as the markup language.  There will be a set of
common components included, but no requirement that HTML be the only way
they are rendered.  I fully expect to see JSF implementations using all
sorts of other technologies as well.

> Jon.

Craig