struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Complicated Web Interfaces?
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 03:05:15 GMT

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Andrew Hill wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:02:34 +0800
> From: Andrew Hill <andrew.david.hill@gridnode.com>
> Subject: RE: Complicated Web Interfaces?
>
> >>"Have you got an alternative suggestion for how to build complicated UIs
> for a web browser *without* using client side JavaScript?"
>
> Flash! ;-)

But isn't that still essentially client side scripting embedded in the
presentation logic?  :-)

> btw: I havent had time to look at JSF yet. Glad to hear its not just for
> rendering HTML, but is it applicable to JSP based rendering approaches only,
> or more generic than that?

JSF is not applicable only to JSP.  There is a Java API that talks to the
component layer, plus the ability to plug in any rendering engine you want
-- JSP custom tags are only one such possible implementation.  In fact,
it should be quite feasible to write Flash renderers for JSF components.
The components themselves don't care.

Craig