struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts administrative funcs
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:00:16 GMT

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, [iso-8859-9] Tuncay Baskan (√Ěnternet Grubu) wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:35:58 +0200
> From: "[iso-8859-9] Tuncay Baskan (√Ěnternet Grubu)"
>     <Tuncay.Baskan@intertech.com.tr>
> To: "Struts-User (E-mail)" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Struts administrative funcs
>
> Hello,
>
> I remember struts administrative actions in struts-config.xml (back in 1.0
> days). Are there still admin actions in 1.1? (At least to reload
> configuration and action classes).

No ... it turned out that Struts couldn't really do everything people
expected when trying to "reload" an application, and it makes no sense to
duplicate what servlet containers do already.  You should use the
application reload facilities of your container -- such as the ability to
reload on demand using Tomcat's manager webapp.

> Btw, how do you develop with struts? I mean, I really really hate to waste
> time by watching Tomcat reload application or sometimes Tomcat itself. Are
> there any tips & tricks to not wasting time? (I'm using IBM Wsad)

Personally, I use the Ant tasks supplied with Tomcat 4.1 (I'm a command
line wienie rather than a GUI wienie :-).  I've also factored out the
time-expensive initialization operations like opening connection pools,
using the JNDI resources support that Tomcat provides, so typical app
reload time is a couple of seconds.  I don't feel bad about typing "ant
reload" and waiting that long.

> /tb.

Craig