struts-user mailing list archives

From micael <caraun...@harbornet.com>
Subject Re: Access/manage local file system
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:13:34 GMT
Hi, Mark.

I don't know what you mean by "I understand the downloading a server
concept".  You mean downloading from a server?

Let me start over.

The question that was sent was ambiguous.  We know he wanted the client to
manage files via a browser.  But, we did not know if he meant files on a
server or files on the client.

We all know how to do that on the server, I think.  That is easy.  So, I
assumed that was not the problem.

But, we may get stuck when trying to manage files on the client with a
browser.  We can manage files on the client with a browser by putting a
server on the client, and then accessing that server.  That was the
answer.  The interface for interaction with a file system and the browser
is via a server.  So, if you want to manage files on the client with a
browser, build a little (or a big) server.  Heck, download tomcat and use
that, even if that would be overkill.

Are we on the same wavelength?

Micael

At 09:40 PM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>micael
>
>Could you provide an example of how you'd going about such a task?
>
>I understand the downloading a server concept, but would the user have to
>choose to download something and give permission to achieve access to the
>client machine in such a way? Downloading and running it on the client,
>isn't that different to interacting with a webapplication on the server?
>
>Many thanks in advance
>
>mark
>

>On 5-12-2002 20:54, "micael" <caraunltd@harbornet.com> wrote:
>
> > The answer is definitely yes if you mean files on the server.  If you mean
> > files on the client, the answer is still yes.  You just build a little
> > server on the client for the browser and use localhost or your localhosts
> > ip address.  So, either way, the answer is yes.
> >
> > At 10:51 AM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >> By 'local' do you mean the client's machine?
> >>
> >> If so any restictions are the bane of the webbrowser, personally i hope my
> >> browser wouldn't permit such action. Can't you mess with stuff on the
> server
> >> and then offer a download of the results?
> >>
> >> The actual controling of files on the client machine would have little
> to do
> >> with the jsp, you'd be looking at technologies supported by the browser
> >> (plugin or otherwise)...
> >>
> >> Hopefully i haven't misunderstood your question..
> >>
> >> Thanks mark

> >> <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>>

> >> --
> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> >
> > Micael

> > This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents contain
> > information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally
> > privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
> > individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as
> > indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the
> > information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you
> > have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank
> > you
> >

> > --
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> >

>--

Micael

have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank you