struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ron Day" <ron...@ronday.cc>
Subject RE: [ANNOUNCE] Shameless Plug: Struts Kick Start now available for shipping at Amazon
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:54:44 GMT
I'd like to second what Kevin has said.

I have bought and read every book on Struts, in the order that they were
published. I got Kick Start this Wednesday. (Sams sent it overnight for
$8.). My three favorite books are Chuck's, Ted's and Kick Start. All three
are different, have the personalities and interests of the authors, and
offer three perspectives on Struts development and best practices. I would
be very hard-pressed to choose just one, but since I love tech books that
isn't an issue for me. All three are intermediate to advanced texts (for
more intro material, look at "Mastering Struts" ). If I had to give one
reason for buying Kick Start, I would say "for the excellent chapters on
Struts Tags". The other books do not dwell on the Tags, while KickStart has
a detailed chapter on each library.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com [mailto:Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 9:37 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Shameless Plug: Struts Kick Start now available
for shipping at Amazon

As James co-author, let me speak to this.

To begin with - I'd like to say that all authors that have put together
books on Struts have put a lot of work into it and have all done well. I've
read most all the books that are currently available and have to honest -
they're all good! No bad words about any of them.

Certainly, as well, I'd feel better if someone on the list who has seen the
book stepped in to answer this. Better probably for everyone to get an
unbiased answer. Kind of hard for me, really, to be unbiased! :->

That being said, we did take specific steps to differentiate:

 - We include a CD-ROM with Struts, JDK 1.4, mysql, strutstestcase, the
struts console, Junit, ant, cactus, Axis, JBoss, etc so all code is
included for windows and Linux.
 - We have working sample code for almost every struts tag. It's designed
for cutting and pasting.
 - We provided working sample apps including code, build scripts and step
by step instructions for integration with JBoss for EJB's and Axis for Web
Services
 - We provided coverage of Ant build scripts, JUnit and Cactus testing with
struts test case.

That's enough I guess to just say that we worked hard to create a good,
usable book. We're currently working with a couple of developer sites to
arrange publication of more sample chapters.The people at SAMS are doing a
great job with the promotions.

And again, I've read Chuck's book and really liked it. While I haven't read
Ted, et al's book it looks great as well  - and Ted has made such a unique
contribution to Struts that he's certainly earned a special place. (Ted's
publisher Manning has put out some great titles recently including Erik
Hatcher's Ant book).

If anyone has more specific questions I'd prefer to take them off list
unless the person believes their discussion is of value to the wider
audience of Struts users.

Thanks for asking!
Kevin

http://www.strutskickstart.com