struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Struts-config.xml
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:20:31 GMT
Yep. Pretty much sums it up, although, just because a newer beta gets put
out doesnt mean you have to upgrade to it. If they one you are using is fine
and its bugs dont affect your code then you could quite conceivably stick
with it forever...

-----Original Message-----
From: Kornelis Sietsma [mailto:korny@sietsma.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 09:14
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Struts-config.xml

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:04:33 +0800, Andrew Hill wrote:

>1.1 is officially still in beta (b2 with b3 any time soon) at the moment,
>but if thats not a 'political' problem it has far more functionality , and
>in my opinion is stabler (I could be wrong) than the ancient 1.0.2

Mind you, for pretty well any commercial project I have worked on, it is
almost
certain that you won't be able to use a beta version of a product.

Sure, the beta may be more stable than the official release - but you can't
guarantee
that it will be static - there is no way to be sure that you won't have to
change
your code to cope with changes in later beta versions.  The official release
should
only change if there are bug-fixes, and even then the public interfaces
shouldn't
change.

- Korny, who'd really like to be using 1.1  :)

p.s. Hi to the list!
--
Kornelis Sietsma   http://www.sietsma.com/korny  korny@sietsma.com