struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Oliver" <ol...@appsaspeers.com>
Subject RE: Struts officially supported at Ford
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:15:07 GMT
And with other Open Source integration/interops like Axis4Struts,
Struts4Slide, Turbine4Struts....and my favorite VelocoRaptor and that
list goes on, before long you will be able to concentrate on just the
problem you are solving and not worry too much about infrastructure.

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone:(520)574-1150
Fax:(520)844-1036

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com [mailto:Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:59 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Struts officially supported at Ford

I agree here -

The typical big company response would've been to build their own custom
framework from the ground up. The fact that they chose to start with
Struts
shows they put a good deal of thought into it and trusted the quality of
the work. It's very likely that they had internal projects be successful
using Struts and then ramped it up as a standard. I'm sure they did a
great
deal of testing on it and had some camps pulling to build something
custom.
There were likely other competing frameworks as well.

This is one of the greatest strengths of Open Source - as a large
company
you can take the app and customize to your internal environment. For
example:

 - You could create abstract 'model' components that standardize they
way
people throughout the company perform database access (or web sevice
access).

 - You could customize it to provide a standard method of acquiring and
storing user credentials so that all applications manage user
information
the same way.

 - You could implement plug-ins to perform custom and standardized
logging
(assuming there is a standard logging process already in place).

The possibilities are endless -

I'll bet anything this is not the last time we here of a Fortune 500
company adopting Struts for intrnal development.

             "Craig R. McClanahan"             To: Struts Users Mailing
List <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
             <craigmcc@apache.org>             cc: (bcc: Kevin
Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
             01/23/2003 02:18 PM               Subject:  RE: Struts
officially supported at Ford
             Please respond to "Struts

             Users Mailing List"

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Karr, David wrote:

> It's certainly good that they're using 1.1, but somewhat unfortunate
> that they stopped at b2.  There were numerous fixes put in after b2,
> including the entire Struts-EL contribution.  Hopefully they can
upgrade
> their support pretty quickly.

Don't give them too hard a time about this.

It's absolutely appropriate for organizations responsible for mission
critical software to be conservative in their version choices -- and
every
such organization I'm familiar with puts any potential new version
through
very extensive testing (for example, against existing apps or against
any
in house customizations they did to the previous version) before putting
their stamp of approval on it.  Struts 1.1b3 hasn't been out long enough
to go through a cycle like that -- and, if I were in their shoes, given
the timing, I'd probably just skip certifying b3 and go certify 1.1
final.

What I'm very pleased about, though, is that Ford "gets it" in a
different
respsect -- they didn't consider "beta" to be a four-letter word :-).

Craig

For additional commands, e-mail: <

---
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the
use
information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt
from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified
that