struts-user mailing list archives

From "Puneet Agarwal" <puneett...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: Session Management
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:53:16 GMT
Session Management is required to achieve persistence. there are two manner
in which persistence can be achieved.

1. storing the information in HTTP session (possibly in session scope)
2. Storing the information using stateful session beans.

You have to take the decision based on your application's performance
expectations.

The cleaner approach is to define the scope of form as "session" and storing
everything in formbeans, nowhere else.
some readonly information can be stored in application context also.

Well you may choose to store some information in stateful session beans and
some in formbeans (HTTP session) but I would not suggest to keep the scope
of formbeans as "request" unless the screen is totally stateless.

Regards
Puneet

----- Original Message -----
From: "JONATHAN PHILIP HOLLOWAY" <jph8@aber.ac.uk>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 4:10 PM
Subject: Session Management

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering about the ways of managing sessions in Struts and wanted
to know out of these two ways which was the better way of doing things:

1. Storing things within the standard servlet session

2. Using a UserWrapper object and storing that within the session.

Is the second way more preformance intensive or not and which is best
practice?

Many thanks,
Jon Holloway.

 Jonathan Holloway,