struts-user mailing list archives

From "Karr, David" <David.K...@wamu.net>
Subject RE: HOWTO pre-populate forms with data, then update ?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:35:14 GMT
For other's benefit, that only applies for the ActionForm class
associated with the Action in the action-mapping.  If your "prepare
action" is associated with a different form bean, then that won't be
what you want.

However, you can have your "prepare action" and "process action"
action-mappings use the same form bean (make sure they are set in the
same scopes).  This would let you avoid writing the code to create the
form bean and put it into scope.  If your "prepare action" is also a
"process action" for another step, then this gets more complicated.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Graham [mailto:dgraham1980@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:21 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: HOWTO pre-populate forms with data, then update ?

Struts hands you a form bean in your execute method.  You cast that
variable
to your specific form type and use the setters to move data into it.
When
you return an ActionForward object out of execute() struts will forward
your input form with your populated bean.

You don't have to create the form bean yourself or put it into the
request,
Struts does that for you as long as you tell it to in struts-config.xml.

David

>From: "Iain Sanderson" <sande010@mc.duke.edu>
>Subject: Re: HOWTO pre-populate forms with data, then update ?
>Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:43:22 -0500
>
>David,
>
>Thanks for your reply. How do you put the info into the form bean?
>
>I use a action called "RegistrationUpdateOpenAction"  to get the data
from
>the database and  forward to the view jsp (registrationUpdate.jsp), but
>don't know how to put that data into the form bean for this  ( the
>underlying form bean would be RegistrationUpdateForm). I'm confused as
the
>form bean is created/recycled by Struts on opening the view. How do I
get
>premptive access to it? Can I just create it and add it to the request
>scope? Won't struts create another one?
>
>Iain.
>

>Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List"
><struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>To:     struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
>cc:
>
>Subject:        Re: HOWTO pre-populate forms with data, then update ?
>
>Traditionally you do this:
>1.  GetMyFormAction determines if it's add or edit from a query string
>attribute.
>2.  For edit go get the info from db using the record's id you passed
in
>the
>query string.
>3.  Put that info into your form bean.
>4.  Forward to your form
>
>The form's input elements will be prepopulated with data for the edit
>screen.
>
>David
>

> >From: "Iain Sanderson" <sande010@mc.duke.edu>
> >To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> >Subject: HOWTO pre-populate forms with data, then update ?
> >Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:20:40 -0500
> >
> >Newbie question:
> >
> >I've managed to use Struts forms as a means of  initial data entry (
> >registration forms etc) but have got  stuck on how to use a form to
>update
> >data that already exists in a database. For example, a form where a
user
> >can update their user details (address, email etc) and then submit
the
> >updates. How is this best done in struts ?
> >
> >I'm sure there's a good way of doing this, but my Kludge so far has
been
> >to  create a bean in the session scope containing the data I want to
> >populate the form with ( eg a user's current address), and then use
>struts
> >  html:text  tags to view  the bean data using their "name" and
>"property"
> >attributes.   Once the user has submitted their updates, the
ActionForm