struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: changing ActionForm to be a Java interface
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:27:52 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dan Jacobs wrote:

> <CONTROVERSIAL-CLAIM>
> In effect, by piggy-backing on beans-properties introspection for the
> sake of convenience, your novice users are lured into thinking that
> form-beans are beans, but they're really intended to be much more
> restricted in scope.
>
> So, if you were to introduce an interface (say, IActionForm) that more
> clearly stipulated the intended roles and behavior, and documented the
> heck out of the default implementation to advise novices not to use the
> rest of beans capabilities indiscriminately, you might end up with a
> better framework for all classes of users.
> </CONTROVERSIAL-CLAIM>

I wish that documentation of intended roles and behavior, plus more
documentation, plus talking about it repeatedly on the mailing list, would
have been enough.  Sadly, that was not my experience during the early
development of Struts -- too many people were misusing it when ActionForm
was an interface.

Sometimes human factors issues have to win out over technical merit in
making architectural choices.  IMHO, this was -- and still is -- one of
those.

Craig