struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Filters and Struts
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:51:34 GMT

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Sterin, Ilya wrote:

> Ok, thanks to all:-)  Guess my only other option is to either define a
> filter for each servlet for now, until 2.4 is prod ready, or as Max
> mentioned, and put all actions in need of authentication, within the
> members namespace.
>
> Both are a hassle of course as compared to a simple filter:-), but
> that's what we'll have to live with for now:-)
>
> Any idea of when the 2.4 spec and tomcat will be production ready?

All of the J2EE 1.4 specs (including Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0) will go
final sometime mid-2003-ish.  It's not legal for any product to ship a
final release that implements these specs until the specs go final.  This
makes perfect sense when you think about it, since a non-final spec can
still be changed, possibly in a way that makes the "final" product not
compatible.

When a particular *implementation* of the new specs is product quality,
though, is a separate question, and one that really needs to be addressed
to the container provider.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised to see
Tomcat 5 (implements Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0) become pretty high quality
before the specs go final (since it's mostly an evolution of Tomcat 4.1);
it just won't be final itself (even if that happens), because such a thing
would not be allowed.

> Thanks.
>
> Ilya

Craig