struts-user mailing list archives

From Evan Schnell <eschn...@nvisia.com>
Subject Re: Role Based Struts Validation
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:49:14 GMT
PILGRIM, Peter, FM wrote:

>Actually I think that my understanding of the validator is flawed.
>By default the validator will not check a field unless you
>specify the "required". The way that "requiredif" is
>implemented might be clue to what I need to do.

The "required" and "requiredIf" rules have no special short-circuit
behavior or impact on other rules.  It seems that all required fields
must be specified before any other rules are executed, but I have never
seen this behavior formally documented anywhere.  This behavior is (or
has been) specific to Struts and does not occur when one uses the
commons-validator from a non-struts application.   The point is that the
specification of a field as  not required does not inhibit execution of
other rules on that field.

The required rule really only has application when the field really is
_required_.  It is still possible to validate the content of an optional
field.  For example:

           <field property="email" depends="email">
               <arg0 key="myForm.email"/>
           </field>

This declaration guarantees that if the user enters a value for the
email field it must be a valid email address.  If the user enters
nothing, because the field is not required no error will be generated.

Evan.

--
Evan Schnell, Technical Lead
nVISIA, Twin Cities  "Digital Architecture and Construction"