struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: Struts Productivity Survey
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:09:06 GMT
30 people for 100 screen UI alone? What is this - NASA shuttle control via
web interface? ;-)

Our app (struts frontend, ejb backend) has 1.5 people doing a similar number
of screens (if you include listviews which thanks to the wonders of copy &
paste and inheritance take a good 2 minutes to implement...).

I  was given 3 days from a 'cold start' (ie: no jsp, struts, tomcat, j2ee,
ant - knowledge (luckily I was strong on html having done a fair bit of
domino web app stuff in a previous life)) to get the first business object
editing screen up. Ended up taking me a week (110 hours), as I needed a
couple of days just to figure out how to install everything and get across
some of the concepts (ie: servlets, request, session, struts actions, how to
keep state, etc...). Didnt use JSPs as I wanted something a bit more dynamic
for my view (started with XMLC but switched to creating my own XHTML DOM
based rendering code after the first iteration). (btw: didnt get that other
0.5 programmers till much later and still have to share him with another
team).

The thing I found hardest to grapple with was the stateless nature of web
app design. I had been doing Swing UI stuff before this project, but now I
couldnt just instantiate a mob of widgets and add a few listeners (maybe I
should have used Barracuda? ;->). The stateless request & response stuff as
used in struts (and most web apps in general) is somewhat different...

The time after having everything installed correctly and when I was finally
doing coding (and a fair bit of study!!) to get that first screen up would
have been 2 or 3 days - though it wasnt exactly an example of good struts
coding! Next couple of screens similar, then after that it got a lot easier
as I started to actually understand what the heck I was doing! Nowadays it
takes me a couple of hours to do a screen (unless it has wierd
requirements - which they all seem to now!) most of which is nobrain typing.

I reckon I wasnt very productive the first 2 or 3 weeks, but after that got
more up to speed - especially once I had some kind of framework up to handle
some of the wierder common requirements specific to our app (and of course I
made a few minor mistakes I havent been able to factor out since :-<).

Nowadays only a small proportion of my time is spent doing basic struts
stuff for the screens - which pretty much comes automatically once you
understand the basics of struts anyway - the time consuming stuff is always
the wierd requirements and funny widgets that have to be implemented - and
that no framework helps much with as they are application & screen specific
(a good knowledge of html (& javascript if your permitted it) comes in very
useful here) - or the strange and twisted things one sometimes needs to do
to data before passing it to and from the B-Tier after input or output.

btw: can VB programmers really be trained to program, or is it true what
they say about the only thing being worse for coding than a VB developer is
2 VB developers??? (just kidding ;->)