struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject [OT] rewards for persevering and becoming [WAS: RE: The best way for learning struts (stupid question)]
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:13:12 GMT
<snip>
Yes, that list is very long.  But the rewards for persevering and becoming
an expert are very great :-).
</snip>

Is it?
So far all I noticed in 4 years of working is that more experience gains you
same pay, more workload, and less time for hacking round with interesting
technology or even for more mundane pursuits (such as sleeping or spending
time with family)...
:-(

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, 16 January 2003 14:57
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: The best way for learning struts (stupid question)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, joni santoso wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:33:21 +0700
> From: joni santoso <struts@plasa.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: The best way for learning struts (stupid question)
>
> Hi,
>
> Now, I can already make struts read the new setting
> changes without resetting Tomcat.
>
> My question is now : what should I learn first? what
> should I master? As I see there are "too many" concepts
> and technical terms

When I'm learning something new, I have always preferred to go "bottom
up".  For a prospective Struts developer, that probably means starting at
the appropriate point (for you) on the following list, depending on what
you're already familiar with:

* Fundamentals of object-oriented programming

* Java as a programming language

* Design patterns (at the programming level)

* Unit testing concepts and test-first design (JUnit is a wonderful
  tool for this in the Java space)

* Basics of relational databases, SQL, and the
  corresponding Java API (JDBC).

* Fundamentals of XML and XSLT (if you're going to be doing
  web services or XML-heavy applications)

* Architecture of the web (particularly how HTTP, HTML, and
  JavaScript work)

* The Servlet API -- foundation to every Java-based web application

* Basics of the view-layer technology (such as JSP) you plan to use
  If you're planning to use JSPs, plan on spending some time on:
  - Custom tags
  - JSTL 1.0 and the expression language

* Design patterns (at the architectural level)

* Implementations of the design patterns you plan to use
  (i.e. Struts as an implementation of the MVC design pattern)

* Use of advanced Struts features and extensions

The above list presumes you are going to be responsible for the entire
application.  In larger-scale environments there tend to be folks that
specialize on the various layers or tiers (persistent data storage,
business logic, presentation logic) -- if that is the place you are at,
you should spend more time on the technologies relevant to that specialty.

In all cases, there are an abundance of articles, tutorials, and books
around - the Struts resources pages include at least some starting points
for many of these areas.  To find more, "Google is your friend" :-).

Yes, that list is very long.  But the rewards for persevering and becoming
an expert are very great :-).

Craig