struts-user mailing list archives

From "joni santoso" <str...@plasa.com>
Subject Re: The best way for learning struts (stupid question)
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:58:42 GMT
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:56:31 -0600
  "Hookom, Jacob John" <hookomjj@uwec.edu> wrote:
>I agree with Andrew about jumping into it.  Really
>though, you should become familiar with J2EE Design
>Patterns, there are quite a few books out there to pick
>up.  Once you know the patterns, then things just come
>easier when you see people talk about Service Layers and
>MVC, etc.

Actually, I read and tried some tutorials out there
already. Something like creating an ActionForm and Action.
It's just then I realised I should learn it (read : new
technology) in a systematic manner. (What do you think?)

I think up writing a very obvious and ubiquitous
application : input data, display it, give a link/button
for editing/deleting, and page it using DB and XML.

This is easy if done using JSP/Servlet or other Web dev
tools.

Can anyone suggest me how to do that using Struts in a
simple language :).

>One good practice to look at right away is the concept of
>layering in your application.  Struts describes the
>Model, View, and Controller (see documentation for
>clarification).  But if you are writing applications with
>hopes of easy maintainability, then you need to add
>additional application or service layers.
>
>That means that your Action really doesn't have any
>"logic" in it persay, but you call methods on another
>layer or object that handles logic for you.  One of the
>best ways to implement layers is via the Bridge Pattern
>with the Factory Pattern where you do up interfaces that
>describe the layer or service.

does this have anything to do with Desing Patterns? Now, I
wonder too how to determine that this framework employing
which DP? And, what DP I should use to tackle a certain
problem?

>An example would be writing a persistence layer that
>stores your Employee Objects.  Well, what if you want to
>store Employee data in XML files initially, but switch to
>a DB later?  By layering your application, you can swap
>the XML implementation with a DB implementation without
>changing any of your Struts code because you've isolated
>persistence to a seperate layer.  Others will thank you
>later by incorporating layers of logic that allow for
>changes later (anyone who's worked with a fickle (sp)
>client knows it's going to change about 10 times before
>it's finalized).

Yes, I have experienced that too.

>As for Struts specific technologies, just start out with
>Action/ActionForms and error handling.  That means first,
>try manually checking for errors in your ActionForm
>object or at the Action, then try dipping into the
>Validator Libraries, which will handle validation for you
>by isolating the logic to a seperate XML file.  The Tiles
>technology is nice, but for me, I would rather stick with
>straight JSTL and JSP includes.
>
>I hope this gives you some ideas,

Thank you