struts-user mailing list archives

From "joni santoso" <str...@plasa.com>
Subject Re: The best way for learning struts (stupid question)
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:11:08 GMT

>* Fundamentals of object-oriented programming
>
>* Java as a programming language

done them.

>* Design patterns (at the programming level)

any good sites for learning this? I read already the
theoretical ones but at the programming level, sometimes
I'm still confused to use which DP.

>* Unit testing concepts and test-first design (JUnit is a
>wonderful
>   tool for this in the Java space)

I learned this too. But, it seems that there're a few
tutorial on JUnit. Can anyone here refer me?

Oh yeah, I also learn Cocoon, Apache FOP, JDOM, and Ant.

>* Basics of relational databases, SQL, and the
>   corresponding Java API (JDBC).

done

>* Fundamentals of XML and XSLT (if you're going to be
>doing
>   web services or XML-heavy applications)

is learning.

>* Architecture of the web (particularly how HTTP, HTML,
>and
>   JavaScript work)

can you elaborate more? As a Software Developer for mostly
web, I know how the JS and HTML work. But why I should
know about HTTP?

>* The Servlet API -- foundation to every Java-based web
>application

done. Though, I don't explore them thoroughly. Only, when
I meet a very special case like how to limit the number of
access a user can make to the web app, delivering image on
the fly, creating an excel file, etc.

>* Basics of the view-layer technology (such as JSP) you
>plan to use
>   If you're planning to use JSPs, plan on spending some
>time on:
>   - Custom tags
>   - JSTL 1.0 and the expression language

is learning too.

>* Use of advanced Struts features and extensions

still learning the basics :).

>Yes, that list is very long.  But the rewards for
>persevering and becoming
>an expert are very great :-).
>
>Craig

thx for the advice.