struts-user mailing list archives

From "Simon Kelly" <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>
Subject Validation. When, where and what?
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:44:50 GMT
Hi all,

I am just trying to work out how far to go in the project I'm doing with
certain aspects of struts and after reading the last couple of date format
mails "validation", of which I currently use none [if you cant type the data
in correctly, back away from the computer (l)user], has come up as one of
those things to think about.

How far and how deep into the application should validation occur?  Now I
can understand validation of the user input client side, that is only
polite.  But what should be validated server side?  If I were to use
multiple xml sources to generate a page (I use xslt not jsp) should I
validate the xml structure of each source prior to generating the page?  If
these files are very large (I would be looking at anything up to 4MB) this
would be very time consuming.  Should I validate the xslt page, as there is
no point in calling it if it's just going to throw an error.

The xml sources will possibly be generated by dynamically formed xqueries to
a database returning xml.  I know the xquery should be validated prior to
sending to the db, but should the returned xml be validated before sending
back up to the Action?

I am just asking incase anyone has any thoughts on this.  It's not a when to
use it question, more of a when to stop using it.

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated,

Regards

Simon

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung