struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jserv?
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 23:35:21 GMT

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Mark Galbreath wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:25:41 -0500
> From: Mark Galbreath <mark_galbreath@qat.com>
> To: struts <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Jserv?
>
> So here I am installing Oracle 9i database on my laptop so I can test Struts
> implementations that use DAOs and I'm looking through the installed files
> and run across "Apache JServ Documentation" in the Oracle HTTP Server module
> and guess who's there listed as a significant contributor?
>
> Craig R. McClanahan from Portland, Oregon, USA
>
> This must have been an old project because it's built on top of the Servlet
> 2.0 spec.

Yep ... Apache JServ was the first open source project I got involved in,
way back when ... even though it's not Friday, it was a sorta interesting
story.

I was in need of a cheap way to run webapps, and was pretty frustrated
that Apache JServ had been sitting at Version 0.9 for over a year, but
had never shipped a 1.0 release.  When talking about this with my son, he
said "Dad, it's Java, it's open source, why don't you help them finish
it?"  So, I did.

Indeed, buried in the Apache JServ CVS repository is a set of code for
what was going to be the next generation Apache JServ (until the Tomcat
contribution to Apache happened).  If you went back and looked, you'd see
an architecture essentially that became Catalina, the servlet container
architecture of Tomcat 4.x and 5.x.

> Mark

Craig