struts-user mailing list archives

From jeff kyser <jeff.ky...@torchtechnologies.com>
Subject Problem with name displayed in error message for custom validator
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:23:46 GMT
Hello all,

I've given this one a pretty good effort, having hacked at it a while,
looked at the lists, read the chapters from several of the books, and
still
don't seem to have it quite right.

I set out to write my own custom validator, using the example of
requireIdentical,
to make sure when a new user is added, the confirmation matches the
password

I put the following in my application resources file, to identify my
three fields:
username, password, confirm:

	# userForm fields
	userForm.username.displayname=User Name
	userForm.password.displayname=Password
	userForm.confirm.displayname=Confirm

I've got all the validator-specific messages in a separate bundle,
ValidatorResources.properties, and the one of interest to me here is:

	errors.identical={0} must be identical to {1}.

I've implemented it in an (add) user form, where I would expect a
message such as:

	"Confirm must be identical to Password"

to appear when the confirmation doesn't match the  password as a new
user is being added.

Here's my form details in my validation.xml file:

         <form name="userForm">
             <field property="username" depends="required">
                 <arg0 key="userForm.username.displayname"/>
             </field>
             <field property="password" depends="required">
                 <arg0 key="userForm.password.displayname"/>
             </field>
             <field property="passwordConfirm" depends="identical">
                 <arg0 key="userForm.confirm.displayname"/>
                 <arg1 key="${var:identicalTo}" resource="false"/>
                 <var>
                     <var-name>identicalTo</var-name>
                     <var-value>password</var-value>
                 </var>
             </field>
         </form>

So, passwordConfirm depends on the "identical" rule which triggers
properly when the two values are not the same.

My problem/question is: have I set this up right? The reason I ask is
because
instead of displaying the value of userForm.password.displayname
(=Password),
it displays the plain "password" instead.

In other words, it appears to be displaying the
<var-value>password</var-value>
instead of displaying the userForm's password displayname (Password).

Is that what I should expect? It doesn't seem so to me.  Have I set
this up wrong,
or is that just "the way it works".

thanks!

-jeff

Oh, and for completeness, my jsp looks as follows with respect to the
example:

          		bundle="VALIDATOR_BUNDLE"/>

(The rule fires properly, a message comes up, it just isn't the one I
expected :)