struts-user mailing list archives

From Davor Cengija <davor.ceng...@mail.inet.hr>
Subject Re: Newbie Question on Performance
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:53:14 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Peder Jakobsen wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had to abandon struts because it was not performant?  Does
>> anyone out there serve A LOT of requests?  (We run 12 load balanced quad
>> Xeons and we can barely keep up!  We have about 1 million users on our
>> site)
>>

> You're primarily going to want to focus on the performance characteristics
> of the servlet+JSP container you are running on, and most particularly the
> quality of the code produced by the JSP page compiler.  With servlet
> containers, you also need to evaluate whether to run them standalone or
> behind a web server).  Secondarily, on database-driven apps, you'll want
> to focus on the quality of your database driver, and (obviously) on how
> well you've tuned your database for maximum performance.  Thirdly, you'll
> certainly want to run a 1.4 or later JDK -- performance improvements in
> each incremental release of Java have been helpful.

Keeping network traffic low, especially between the appservers and the
databases, might improve performance as well. Keep the most accessable
tables near the appservers (or even on the same machine). Also, cache and
preload the data with high access rate.

All these advices are applicable on any java application. There's even a
book, Java Performance Tuning.

Regarding Struts, we had no performance issues connected directly to it.

--
davor.cengija@mail.inet.hr