struts-user mailing list archives

From "John Espey" <jes...@Tallan.com>
Subject RE: html:text tag "indexed" attribute
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:31:16 GMT
I think this is how you'd do it using JSTL and Struts-EL (I may have messed
the names up)

<c:forEach var="aString" items="aForm.stringArray" status="status">
</c:forEach>

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Toohey [mailto:ctoohey@pacbell.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 4:10 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: html:text tag "indexed" attribute

Thanks David. I appreciate your help.

My conclusion is that the html:text "indexed" attribute is only intended for
collections of beans which have properties, not for collections of Strings
which do not have properties. The generated "name" attribute for the HTML
tag
of name[nn].property simply does not apply to a collection of some object
which does not have properties.

I figured out how to do it using the "indexId"  of the logic:iterate tag.
This solves both the problem of populating the HTML text tag with the
correct
value, and creating the correct "name" attribute for the HTML text tag, so
that my form bean is populated correctly on submit.

<logic:iterate name="aForm" property="stringArray" id="aString"
indexId="index">
 </logic:iterate>

I'm sure that there is a slicker way to do this with Struts-EL or JSTL, but
haven't gotten there yet. Need more time !

Thanks for all your help.

- Charlie

On Saturday 01 February 2003 11:24 pm, you wrote:

>     Charlie> Thanks David. That worked for the value attribute:
>     Charlie> <logic:iterate name="aForm" property="stringArray"
> id="aString" > Charlie>    <html:text indexed="true" property="aString"
> value='<%= aString.toString() Charlie>  %>' />
>     Charlie> </logic:iterate>
>
>     Charlie> BUT, this resolves to an HTML text tag of:
>     Charlie> <input type="text"
> name="org.apache.struts.taglib.html.BEAN[0].aString" Charlie>
> value="somevalue">
>
>     Charlie> This is my larger question --- what I'm trying to get is
>     Charlie> <input type="text" name=aString[0] value="somevalue">
>
>     Charlie> Using the Struts html:text tag with indexed="true", I am
> iterating over a Charlie> collection of String objects, NOT a collection
of
> bean objects with Charlie> properties. Therefore, instead of using the
bean
> name for the "name" Charlie> attribute and the bean property for the
> "property" attribute, like all of the Charlie> examples I have seen, I do
> not know what to put for the "name" and "property" Charlie> attributes,
> because this is a collection of Strings, not beans, and the Charlie>
String