struts-user mailing list archives

From "Max Cooper" <...@maxcooper.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:48:24 GMT
Perhaps only good programmers use text editors.
But it certainly isn't the case that good programmers only use text editors.

I used to use text editors for all my programming, but I have since switched
to IntelliJ IDEA because I am convinced it helps me do my work better and
faster. I can certainly do things that I wouldn't have had time for or felt
comfortable doing before. I will never go back to programming with a text
editor.

-Max

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chappell, Simon P" <Simon.Chappell@landsend.com>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 1:38 PM
Subject: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)

Actually, my primary point was text editor usage and programmer ability.

It is my personal observation that the better programmers use text editors.
(vi or emacs or jedit or vim ... I don't care ... that's not the argument
here). I'm not quite saying that IDEs are bad, although I'm certainly
tempted to say that some days, but programmers who CAN program with text
editors and command-line tools are orders of magnitude better than those who
can't. You are more than welcome to tell me that you believe this is not so,
but I have observed it enough that, to me, it is a truism.

Simon