struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Smith" <je...@centralscheduling.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Learning Curve Management or Confusions of a Newbie
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:40:49 GMT
I understand the problem of volume. I'm not suggesting that we try to index
the entire internet for all apache-related information.

I'm suggesting that we explore a mechanism that ensures that everything
hosted directly in the apache infrastructure be tagged at creation/posting
time so that an automated FAQ engine can index it on a more meaningful level
than a simple key-word search. I call it a key-question search.

Imagine the difference between searching the apache site for all documents
containing the words "logging", "ant" and "config". You would get spanked by
the number of hits.

But now consider how many responses you would get if you were searching the
site for all the QUESTIONS (in that "what questions are answered by what
documents" index) that contained those words. Suddenly your response volumes
go way down.

Furthermore, the site could tag each document with a "Add another question
answered by this document" feature that would allow people to log the
questions they are finding usefully answered by particular documents.

Such a system is not particularly complex. And it relies on existing
"business" processes to populate and manage the index, once the
comparatively simple engine is integrated.

I have created similar systems in the past for integration with help systems
in desktop software packages. It allows a corporate user to develop
context-specific help for their staff that is more directly relevant to
their business and job functions than a developer can possibly hope to
anticipate at help-writing time.

And when you think about it, one way to view the apache site infrastructure
is as a giant help system.

Jefficus