struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Smith" <je...@centralscheduling.net>
Subject Re: Model 2 with a half-order of X
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:02:50 GMT
Thanks to all who responded. After reading those suggestions and wading
through the billion or so pages on XML technologies, I'm going to tackle it
this way:

1) I'm already using header/footer/body tiles to construct the pages, so I
can isolate my problem to just generating the doc itself in the document
display tile.

2) I'm going to use a three-step action to view the doc.
    Step 1: Assemble the doc from the database elements into an XML DOM bean
and stick that in the request scope.
    Step 2: Chain to another action that applies content summarization
filters and places an HTML fragment into the request scope
    Step 3: Render the fragment into the tile (via the JSP) and rely on CSS
classes to "skin" the display on the client side
    (Although, steps 1 and 2 may collapse into a single action when I get
into the thick of it.)

I'll post a summary of results back here if anybody is interested.

Does anybody have any recommendations regarding the merits of JAXP vs.
Xerces/Xalan or maybe a plug for a 3rd alternative for implementing the XML
engine stuff? (I'm particularly interested in notes on performance and
ease-of-use.)

Jefficus