struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mitchell Morris" <mmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject RE: JavaServer Faces
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:47:00 GMT
You'll probably hear this from a lot of people ... Java Server Faces isn't
in the same solution space as Struts. JSF is a UI toolkit, while Struts is a
web application framework, which includes a tag library implementing basic
UI elements. This tag library can easily be replaced to use a different UI
toolkit, such as WML (which I've posted to Bugzilla) or JSF, which Craig
posted on this very mailing list within the past few days.

In fact, Craig has stated his belief that eventually the Struts UI tag
library will vanish completely in favor of JSF in pretty much the same way
that the "bean" and "logic" tag libraries seem to be vanishing in favor of
JSTL. (Tangent #1: what happens when Craig's contrib/workflow project turns
into something real?)

So your second guess was more nearly correct in that they're not really
related. The product that is more directly substituable for Struts and
carries Sun's name on it is (I believe) "Sun ONE Application Framework".

+Mitchell