struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Galbreath" <mark_galbre...@qat.com>
Subject RE: [OT]: What is vim?
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:14:12 GMT
Oh, quit yer whining....

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/hack/realmen.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Reumann [mailto:maillist@reumann.net]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 4:00 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [OT]: What is vim?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:56:45 -0500
"Mark Galbreath" <mark_galbreath@qat.com> wrote:

> And any non-dot-completion editor refines
> your sense of the API because it forces you to RTFM.

Ok, I see the whole vi/emacs/IDE wars starting up:) Sure in the beginning a
newbie should learn to use a basic text editor and an API, but I can
GUARANTEE you I can set a bunch of methods in large bean that
a team member created using dot-completion faster than you can if you have
to look up all the methods in the java doc (which often times isn't created
until late in the project cycle). Don't get me wrong I love learning vi and
the only IDE I pretty much use now is jEdit, although I do use the dot
completion when coding in Java.

Looking up to find out whether the set method is setPhoneNumber or or
setPhone is a heck of a lost faster with dot completion than having to check
out another windows and find the name of the method and then type it all
out. I really don't understand why people are against dot completion. A true
newbie still would have to RTFM to find out what method to call for many
things so dot completion doesn't even come into play there. You can simply
code faster with dot completion.

--
Rick Reumann