struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nicolas De Loof" <nicolas.del...@cgey.com>
Subject Re: Association between Session object and Cookies/URL rewriting
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:32:07 GMT
> I well understand now that Sessions (object on the web server) are
> used either cookies or URL writing (in the client side).
> In the struts application I have to make changes if I want to
> use URL rewriting.
> But what I still do not understand (I am sorry to be also insistent)
is
> why/or how each user will have a own unique sessionID ?.
> How a user is identified?
> What distinguish a client from an other client ?
> Is the user NT account ?
> Perhaps a client is not a "physical" person but an instance of Web
browser ,

A "client" is not a "physical" person but an instance of a browser :
When J2EE server doesn't get any session info from request (form
coockie or request parameter if url rewriting is used), it will
generate a new session id for "client". Every new request from this
browser will come with sessionid, and a pseudo-connection will be
maintained between browser and server.

A "user" is indentified by the browser instance it is using.

Nico.