struts-user mailing list archives

From James Mitchell <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using database tables for resource bundles
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:16:54 GMT
On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 10:30, Robert Leland wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are developing a multilingual system using struts 1.1 and j2ee 1.3.
> >
> > I need to know whether we can use backend database tables for providing all the
messages i.e. whether the messages can be provided by a set of java class rather than relying
on resource files residing on the server.

> James Mitchell developed a version of this.
> It is in the jakarta-commons-sandbox/resources.
> I haven't used this myself though. For 1.2 we plan
> on making the message resources in struts a wrapper
> around these classes. Until that point you'll need to
> provide your own glue.

Cool, I wasn't aware that it was added to commons-sandbox.

I initially released this extension on http://sourceforge.net/struts
called 'OJBMessageResources'.  This particular implementation uses OJB
under the covers.

It is very simple to use.  The best part is that you don't have to
change anything in your application that already uses MessageResources.
You can even use both properties files and database in the same
application. (Props for some and db for others)

Complete details are available in the download, and I'm here (almost 24
X 7) if you need assistance with setting things up.

I'm also about to release another implementation that uses Hibernate for
those who don't want the required OJB internal tables.....stay
tuned....more to come.

--
James Mitchell
Software Developer/Struts Evangelist