struts-user mailing list archives

From Rick Reumann <maill...@reumann.net>
Subject Re: [OT]: What is vim?
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:00:08 GMT
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:56:45 -0500
"Mark Galbreath" <mark_galbreath@qat.com> wrote:

> And any non-dot-completion editor refines
> your sense of the API because it forces you to RTFM.

Ok, I see the whole vi/emacs/IDE wars starting up:) Sure in the
beginning a newbie should learn to use a basic text editor and an API,
but I can GUARANTEE you I can set a bunch of methods in large bean that
a team member created using dot-completion faster than you can if you
have to look up all the methods in the java doc (which often times isn't
created until late in the project cycle). Don't get me wrong I love
learning vi and the only IDE I pretty much use now is jEdit, although I
do use the dot completion when coding in Java.

Looking up to find out whether the set method is setPhoneNumber or
or setPhone is a heck of a lost faster with dot completion than having
to check out another windows and find the name of the method and then
type it all out. I really don't understand why people are against dot
completion. A true newbie still would have to RTFM to find out what
method to call for many things so dot completion doesn't even come into
play there. You can simply code faster with dot completion.

--
Rick Reumann