struts-user mailing list archives

From Sven Carllson <jjmer...@yahoo.com>
Subject odd utf-8 behavior w/ struts 1.0 + tomcat 4.1.12
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:39:44 GMT
(crashed while sending, not sure if it went
thru...apologies if this appears twice)

I realize there have been many messages on this
subject, but I have tried all the recommendations to
no avail. here's the situation:

-webapp with choice of 4 languages- english, spanish,
russian, arabic

-ApplicationResources files for each language are
displayed, which I am assuming means the locale obj is
set correctly and the AppRes files are named correctly

-the russian and arabic AppResources files are saved
as utf-8, are openable in a browser, and with their
file extension changed to .jsp, are served correctly
by tomcat

-BUT the russian and arabic messages come out as
garbage when served using the struts <bean:message ..
/> tag

-the jsp that displays the test messages  has
<% response.setContentType("text/html;
charset=UTF-8"); %> and <html:html locale="true">

-using tomcat 4.1.12 (linux), struts 1.0, IE 5.5

anyone, any idea? I am at sea.
files below

thanks for any help
josh

home.jsp:
<% response.setContentType("text/html;
charset=UTF-8"); %>

<%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"
prefix="bean" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld"
prefix="html" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld"
prefix="logic" %>

my browser, I've tested this -->
<bean:message key="home.welcome" />

ApplicationResources_ru.properties (not sure if the
cyrillic will show up on the list, but it shows up in
my browser, and the text file is saved as utf-8 by
win2k notepad)

home.welcome=????????????: