struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: jdk14 log
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:37:45 GMT

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Robert Taylor wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:10:36 -0500
> From: Robert Taylor <rtaylor@mulework.com>
> Subject: RE: jdk14 log
>
> Vic and Navjot, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I can't interact with
> the mailing list from work.
>
> I didn't really do anything special to get JDK1.4 logging to work
> with Struts. From what I understand, commons-logging will "detect"
> JDK1.4 logging, and use the logging.properties file for configuration.
> As I'm sure your aware, you can find the logging.properties file under
> jre/lib/.

More specifically, the default file is
"$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties", and the format of a local init
file is the same.

> For example, to kill all non-severe logging from struts and the validator,
> I put the following lines in the logging.properties file.
> org.apache.struts.level=SEVERE
> org.apache.commons.validator.level=SEVERE
>
> The servlet container we use takes standard out and writes it to a log file.
> So I just log using the SimpleFormatter and the ConsoleHandler.
>
> I don't use the LogManager at all. I use the logging package as is and it
> works fine.
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong that I'll run into later, but for now
> I'm happy with the configuration.
>
> I'm not sure I'm much help with this one.

Two things I ran into are useful warnings to others.

* Since this is my machine, I just go change the default
  logging properties when I want to modify them.  That
  file gets loaded only when the JVM uses them for the
  first time, so I have to restart Tomcat to get it to
  recognize changes.

* If you use the ConsoleHandler for output (so that the
  messages end up in catalina.out for Tomcat), there is
  a limit on the detail level of *any* message sent to
  the console, no matter what the individual level setting
  has.  Modify the following property to enable any sort
  of debugging message to be sent to the console handler:

  java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST

> robert

Craig