struts-user mailing list archives

From Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonza...@opentechnet.com>
Subject Re: How do you keep your session junk free?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:23:15 GMT

    A few years ago, when Struts was not still available, we programmed
a web layer framework much more primitive than Struts but with similar
functionality for the project I was involved. One of the functionalities
we had was request flow control, so we were sure that the user wasn't
going back and forth and we had the right information in the session.
Whenever there was a request that was not proper following the current
flow, a message error was showed to the user, with the suggestion to
begin the flow again.

    We didn't reach that far, but I think such a functionality may
provide a way to define "wizards" or page flows and let the application
have a callback method to clean the session stored in data in case the
user leaves the wizard. This is a functionality that I'd love to have in
Struts. Right now, I try to clean the session when I reach the final
step of such a series of pages, but you are not guaranteed that the user
ever reaches it.

    The other solution is having all the data introduced so far by the
user in hidden fields (though I don't recommend it).

    Jose