struts-user mailing list archives

From Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>
Subject Re: Actions based on Role
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:04:39 GMT
Jagadeesan,Sivakumar wrote:
> I have web application where users could of three types (Roles)
>
> 1) Basic User
> 2) Silver User
> 3) Gold User
>
> According to Type / Role of user some actions could be performed or not
> performed.
>
> I could set in my stuts-config.xml, the role based access in Action Element
>
> I am having my own authentication System that uses the database . The User
> table has the userName and also the Role.
>
> I am not sure how could I create a Role that the Action is expecting , if I
> am using my own authentication

"Struts in Action", ch 9, pg 260-261
9.2.2 ProcessRoles

This shows how you can override the processRoles() method of
RequestProcessor.  It provides you with the request, response and action
mapping.  So you can get the roles in the struts-config.xml for the
Action using mapping.getRoleNames().  You can the check that the user
has one of the roles and return true or false.

Jason Lea