struts-user mailing list archives

From Thomas CORNET <tho...@cornet.name>
Subject Re: Modules
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:33:12 GMT

>Most everything knows how to get at the configuration for the default
>module.  You see, most configuration data is available in two places: 1)
>application scope under a combination of whatever the key is that
>identifies that given piece of data -- plus a module identifier.  2) in
>request scope [if you go through the controller] under the key identifying
>that piece of data, but without the module identifier.
>
>Some things will go on to app scope and pull things from there.  The data
>you're working with if you don't go through the controller to get at
>things (ie.  you don't go through an action to get at your JSP pages) will
>be the data for the main (default) module.  Only by going through the
>controller (ie. invoking pages through actions) will the controller have
>the opportunity to determine which module is being invoked and place the
>data relevant to that module in the request.  That's why things work as
>expected if you put your configuration into the default config file.
>
>Still clear as mud?
>
>RULE:  Always go through the controller.  (always use an action to get at
>a JSP)  This is a really strong recommendation for folks not using
>modules, but it really becomes an absolute must when you are using
>modules.  Sorry, but there's no way go get around it without rewriting
>Struts to be a filter instead of a servlet (... which might possibly
>happen in Struts 2.x.x - we've speculated on this point)

>You can let yourself get carried away with it like a lot of folks do and
>hide your JSPs off under WEB-INF, if you like (TONS of folks do this, and
>I've taken to it as well).  This will make it impossible to access a
>resource unless you go through an action.  This both ensures that the user
>can't inadvertantly access the page directly, and ensures you write an
>action to reach it.  It's really a handy trick on a lot of levels.
>
>Users can bookmark actions just like they can pages.  They're just storing
>the URL.  Yes, you'll have to have request parameters cluttering your URL,
>but it can be done.  They can handle it (or, I should say, the browser
>can) just fine.  I can't count the times I've saved queries on
>pricegrabber.com -- same principle.
>
>I haven't examined your files yet.  Sorry, but I really don't have time
>right now :-(  What I would do if I were you is to make everything go
>through an action and see if you're still having problems.  If you're
>always going through the controller, everything should always be A-OK. If
>you do continue to have problems once you've fixed your application to act
>as I have stated, please do let us know.
>
>Here's another perspective:  If you don't go through the controller, how
>is the page supposed to know which module you're invoking it from?  I
>guess you could hard-code it -- and you could actually get at your
>configuration data (study source code and user guide) if you knew which
> [...]

Many thanks for the explainations. Things like this are not present on
tutorials on Net. It must be time for me to buy a big book about Struts ;)

I see the need to place the JSP under WEB-INF directory, but is it
possible, according recommandations, to let a minimum of JSP out of the
WEB-INF directory for the front pages of a webapp ?

However, I'm going to follow your recommandations to make those modules
work. Don't waste time on it, I'll bother you only if it's still not working :)

                              Thomas