struts-user mailing list archives

From "Oliver Meyn" <li...@mineallmeyn.com>
Subject deprecation error moving from Tomcat 4.0.4 to 4.1.18?
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:33:46 GMT
Hi all,

Code that has worked fine under Struts 1.1 rc1 in Tomcat 4.0.4 is now
failing in 4.1.18 (j2sdk1.4.1_02).  Other servlets made the switch ok, but
when I try to <jsp:include page="<%= a bean value %>" /> the page fails with
a somewhat cryptic error as below:

[ERROR]

An error occurred at line: 39 in the jsp file: /data/statistics.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18\<removed>\data\statistics_jsp.java:136:
include(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
Response,java.lang.String,javax.servlet.jsp.JspWriter,boolean) in
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary cannot be applied to
(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRespons
e,java.lang.Object,javax.servlet.jsp.JspWriter,boolean)
          JspRuntimeLibrary.include(request, response,  includePage , out,
true);
                           ^
An error occurred at line: 39 in the jsp file: /data/statistics.jsp
Generated servlet error:
Note: C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18\<removed>\data\statistics_jsp.java uses or
overrides a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
1 error
[/ERROR]

This is the code that generates it:
[CODE]
<logic:present name="statsNavBean">
	<bean:define id="includePage" name="statsNavBean" property="bodyPage" />
	<jsp:include page="<%= includePage %>" flush="true" />
</logic:present>
[/CODE]

The bean:define line is #39 referenced in the error, but I think it must be
miscounting since if I remove the jsp:include line it works fine (well,
compiles fine).

Any ideas on what's causing this?  Is there a newer version of some spec I
should be writing to for 4.1.18 as opposed to 4.0.4?

I know the includePage is coming back correctly because just printing it out
shows that it is correct.  One of the possibilities for includePage is a
trivial Coming Soon page, and if I define some variable foo =
"comingsoon.jsp" (same as passed back) and place it in the include instead
of includePage, it _works fine_.  This must be something in the interaction
of the bean and the include, but I can't figure it out.

Hoping it's something obvious,
Oliver

ps same error on Linux/Apache