struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sterin, Ilya" <Iste...@ciber.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Contract Work: Going Rate?
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:55:20 GMT
Just to reiterate, there are many downsides, too many to list.

The major one, at least that effected our decisions, is no legal
juridistiction and no local support presence.  The legal one, far outweighs
the local support, but then add the bunch of other cons, and you'll see
exactly why.

Ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: Sterin, Ilya
Sent: 3/27/03 6:50 PM
Subject: RE: [OT] Contract Work: Going Rate?

But you are a student, there are many benefits to a company choosing a
developer that comes with years of developing enterprise grade, scalable
applications.  For small web app projects, true, for enterprises, I
doubt
they'll want to save $40 an hour, to later have to redo the whole
project,
due to the fact that who ever developed it to begin with, had little
experience with developing such apps.

As you see, many US and other high wage countries, are in a way effected
by
people from India, Russia, China, etc... bidding on project, but not too
many companies are willing to take the rist.  Go to any bidding site,
and
see how it effects the bids.  Elance is a great place to look at this
bid
process.

Project A

US Contractor bid: $45,000 USD
UK Contractor bid: $40,000 USD
Indian Contractor bid: $2,500 USD

You'd think why wouldn't a corp go with the lower bid, well, there are
many
cons, that outweight the pros.  Go to elance, and see which bids are
being
awarded the projects, and you'll see.

Nothing against the folks in those countries or their bids, as they bid
equivalent of what it's worth there.  I myself, own a business, and had
at
some point thought about outsourcing stuff to India, in the process, I
make
the difference, and do no work, and do not have to pay my employees $40+
an
hour, but on 95% of projects, the downsides of this, prevented us from
outsourcing.

Ilya