struts-user mailing list archives

From "du Plessis, Corneil C" <CAduPless...@sbic.co.za>
Subject RE: unwanted emty lines in produced html
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:01:44 GMT
The biggest program is taglibs within logic:iterate if you try something
like:
<logic:iterate ...><tr><td><bean:message  /></td></tr></logic:iterate>

instead of:
<logic:iterate ...>
</logic:iterate>

You will find you get a lot fewer blank lines.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Lee [mailto:brian_a_lee@hotmail.com]
Sent: 12 March, 2003 17:41
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: unwanted emty lines in produced html

Hundreds of blank lines affect rendering speed of a browser and can affect
performance of heavily hit sites. Although each line is negligible with
thousands of users you end up paying for the extra bandwidth.

Plus browsers still have some quirks with blank lines. I.e. it can make an
image look misaligned or cause a link's underline to extend beyong the text.

BAL

>From: "David Graham" <dgraham1980@hotmail.com>
>To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
>Subject: Re: unwanted emty lines in produced html
>Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:24:57 -0700
>
>How are empty lines affecting the display of the html?  AFAIK, browsers
>ignore blank lines.
>
>David
>

>>From: Igor Lyubimov <igor.lyubimov@knipp.de>
>>To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: unwanted emty lines in produced html
>>Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:17:07 +0100
>>
>>Hallo!
>>
>>I use struts-tiles framework for my web application.
>>
>>When I look in produced html code, I see wery much empty lines. In this
>>case I become broken design. (Some divs have incorrect size, table cells
>>are broken etc.)
>>
>>As I understand this problem, this emty lines are produced by embedded
>>java statements and struts/tiles tags like:
>>
>><% ... %>
>><%@ ... %>
>><tiles:useAttribute ... />
>>
>>So, how can I control the output? I need to be able to use in my code
>>constructions (as stated above) and I do not like to have one emty line
>>per construction. I do not like to have very long lines in my code too.
>>
>>Have anybody solution for this problem?
>>
>>Thanks a lot,
>>
>>--
>>      |       |
>>      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
>>       -------                           Technologiepark
>>                                         Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
>>                                         D-44227 Dortmund
>>      Dipl.-Mathematiker Igor Lyubimov   Fon: +49-231-9703-0
>>      Igor.Lyubimov@knipp.de             Fax: +49-231-9703-200

Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of
Standard Bank Group Limited is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally
privileged and protected by law. Standard Bank does not own and endorse any other content.

Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Standard
Bank.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender

immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content
in any way.

Standard Bank can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained
nor
that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.