struts-user mailing list archives

From "apachep2" <apach...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:16:27 GMT
I still disagree.

I use IDE mainly for quick editing. I find it is convenient if I can
simply select, drag and drop text using mouse in an editor. I usually
turn off those features like you type a ., IDE pops up a list of the
methods. I turn them off because they slow down my typing.

I used to use vi because there wasn't any IDE. I didn't give up using
text editor until one year ago because I was familiar with the vi
environment and I was lazy learning new things.

Now I am happy with my Eclipse.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chappell, Simon P [mailto:Simon.Chappell@landsend.com]
Sent: March 3, 2003 4:58 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)

No. I very specifically said that the better programmers CAN use text
editors and command-line tools. This does not mean that they have to,
only that they COULD use them if they choose to. I now use the Eclipse
IDE for alot of my personal programming because it is like a text editor
that wants to be helpful. I like the wrappers that it gives me for the
compiles and junit tests, but that it keeps out of the way for the
actual editing if I don't invoke any of the "helpful" intelli-wotsits.

Simon