struts-user mailing list archives

From "John Espey" <jes...@tallan.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Text editor usage (was RE: [OT]: What is vim?)
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:39:56 GMT
I disagree STRONGLY with the statement that a programmer who uses a text
editor learns the language better.  This is like saying a construction
worker cannot be a good carpenter unless he builds a house from the ground
up with a hammer and a standard screwdriver.  Just because I look at a black
and white screen and am forced to type everything (every setter, every
getter, every exception), and I have to add debug log statements anywhere
that I want visibility into the code doesn't mean I will magically
understand the code any better than if I use a modern tool to help me with
some of these more menial tasks that are by no means essential to
understanding what a piece of code is doing.
  (I'll caveat this by saying that I think that a VIM or EMACS user will be
able to manipulate text faster, no argument there.)