struts-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh.Jayaba...@lazard.com
Subject RE: crazy error
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:47:57 GMT

Hi,

  The scope to session until I have finished testing..

  The feild in the jsp page are directly related to the field int he formbean..
so on submitting it should be populated automatically.. which is not happening.

 I found this is because I of conversionexception  so when I created a servlet
extending actionservlet and

public void init() throws ServletException
  {
    super.init();
    ConvertUtils.register(new BigDecimalConverter(null),
java.math.BigDecimal.class);
  }

added the above method the problem has disappeared.

Regards
Rajesh J

             "Joe Barefoot"                cc:

             <Joe.Barefoot@motiva.c        Subject:     RE: crazy error

             om>

             07 Mar 2003 02:10 PM

             Please respond to

             "Struts Users Mailing

             List"

> Hi,
> How do u pass the bean to jsp from Action, do u pass
> it through request, if yes then u will loose the bean
> when u submit it back from jsp as it is a new request,

If your ActionForm is set to scope="request" in your ActionMapping (this is the
default if not specified, I believe), then yes, the ActionForm is on the
HttpServletRequest.  When you submit from the JSP, the ActionForm will ONLY be
populate with the values that were in the form that was submitted from the JSP.
So, yes, the ActionForm from the previous request is lost.

If you want to keep the data, either stick the ActionForm in session scope (not
a good idea unless you are sure to remove it at some point), or use hidden
fields on your forms to maintain data that will be re-populated into the
ActionForm when you submit.

hope this helps,
Joe