struts-user mailing list archives

From "V. Cekvenich" <vCekven...@baseBeans.com>
Subject Re: Session bean behavior when user creates new browser window......
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 02:10:03 GMT
In event driven programing the user is in charge of program flow.
As opposed to procedural programing where programmer is in charge (In
COBOL you had menu choice 1-5).
So you have to check.
You have to consider most contingencies.

A good practice is to bean.save() on any submit. (keep the session small
also).

If the bean saves, good!, continue.
If the bean does not save because xhyz is missing, or wrong step, then
you forward user to the appropriate place.

See how action/controller comes in handy?

It is a bad practice to have several steps and save at the "end" of
*YOUR* idea of the flow.
Each "step" is an individual event/submit that should be each processed
discrete.

In your case, you have "dirty" data, and you have to decide is this OK
to save. (If you do not know about dirty writes issues, then you should
just save based on primary key, and save the dirty data). If this is a
problem, you have to make a longer where clause based on your bus. reqs.
Then fail the save, and handle in controler.

hth,

.V