struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Galbreath" <mark_galbre...@qat.com>
Subject RE: struts validator
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 03:56:04 GMT
finally, a voice of reason....

-----Original Message-----
From: Sergey Smirnov [mailto:sim@exadel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 10:41 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: struts validator

David,

We are currently inserting validation mechanism support in Exadel Struts
Studio, so we tested a difference aspects of Validation in Struts a lot. As
a result, I realize that the most significant problem of Validation
framework is not bugs that still exist. Most significant problem is an
exceptions set. Struts likes to throw exceptions and those exceptions inform
user what happen inside Struts framework, but not where the actual problem
is located in the user application. Very often exception message follows
user away from real problem, so even typo becomes a problem for hours. Also,
It looks like Struts run-time does not validate validation.xml against DTD,
as a result any typo there are welcome without warnings. The problems in the
java part of Struts might be solved with any Java IDE, but the problems with
XML part becomes a really personal problem of Struts developers. Actually,
it was a primary reason we start to develop Struts Studio.

Regards,
Sergey Smirnov
Exadel Struts Studio - IDE for Struts http://www.exadel.com/strutsStudio