struts-user mailing list archives

From "Varun Garg" <varun_g...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Advice with reading multiple html:selects
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:21:32 GMT
It does not matter about building it dynamically, what matter is what
was selected when the form was submitted.

Only the selected values are transmitted back and they should all come
back in that array.

-----Original Message-----
From: netizen1 [mailto:netizen1@attbi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 4:16 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Advice with reading multiple html:selects

Hello,

  I have read the newsgroups regarding multiple selects.
  I have a multiple html:select control that starts out empty
  I populate the select control by using a textbox and an add button
  so it is filled dynamically.

  My html:select is:

  which comes out like :
  <select name="questionOptions" multiple="multiple" size="2"
style="width:500 px; height: 61px"></select>

  I have an action Form that has:

  private String[] gstrQuestionOptions                        = null;

  public String[] getQuestionOptions()
  {
         return this.gstrQuestionOptions;
  }
  public void setQuestionOptions( String[] value )
  {
         this.gstrQuestionOptions = value;
  }

  Even in the validate i try the following
  System.out.println( getQuestionOptions().length ) and i get
  java.lang.NullPointerException

  Since the select control is dynamically populated would i have to
  use something like request.getParameterValues("questionOptions")
  instead?

  Thank you

--
Best regards,